Temperatures are starting to drop, the days are getting shorter, the leaves are beginning to change and fall is just around the corner. While fall is a beautiful time of year, it can pose many dangers to pets. From household toxins to weather hazards, there are several precautions you should take to ensure the safety of your four legged friends. Here are a few tips for keeping your pets safe this autumn.

During the colder months, rodents seek shelter from the elements indoors. Rodenticides are used to prevent this unwanted critters from calling your house home, but they can be fatal to pets. When using these products, be sure to exercise extreme caution and keep them out of reach of your pets.

School is back in full swing and homework and art projects seem to take over the kitchen table. Be sure to keep markers, glue, pencils and other school supplies away from noisy pets. These items can cause gastrointestinal upset and blockages.

With the hot summer days behind us, fall is a great time to get outdoors with your pet. Go hiking, play fetch or even brush up on their training skills.

Avoid taking your pet to areas with mushrooms. While 99 percent of mushrooms have little toxicity, the other 1 percent can cause life threatening issues. There is no way to distinguish between toxic and non toxic mushrooms, so it is best to avoid them all together.

Outdoor pets or those that spend significant time playing outside during the cooler months need more food than usual. Their bodies work harder to generate heat during the winter and need more energy to do so.

As the seasons change, many people use this as an opportunity to change the coolant in their car’s engine. Ethylene glycol coolants are highly toxic to pets if ingested. When changing the coolant exercise caution and be sure to clean up any spills.

Follow these tips from our Kennett Square veterinarian for a safe and happy autumn!

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmail