The holiday season is filled with family tradition and delicious dishes. As we gave thanks for all of our blessings, we can be tempted to over share with our pets. While a few tastes of mashed potatoes, turkey or green beans can be a tasty treat for your pet, they can become a potential hazard. Here are a few tips to keep your pets full and safe through the Thanksgiving festivities:

A little turkey is a fine treat for your pet, but only feed them thoroughly cooked, boneless meat. Like humans, the salmonella found in raw or undercooked turkey will make dogs and cats sick.

While seasoning and spices add extra flavor to your favorite holiday dishes, our pet’s stomachs are not able to tolerate the added zest in large quantities. Sage is a seasoning to be especially careful with as it can cause gastrointestinal upset and depression of the central nervous system.

It can be very tempting to let your four legged friend sample that extra batter, but it could lead to food poisoning. Be cautious of batter containing raw eggs, which can contain salmonella.

Sharing a few leftovers with your pet isn’t the end of the world, just do so in moderation. A few nibbles here and there won’t pose the danger overeating will. Overindulging can lead to an upset stomach, diarrhea or pancreatitis.

Raw bread dough poses a significant risk to pet’s digestive system. The heat of the animal’s body will cause the dough to rise in the stomach after its ingested. As the dough rises it can cause vomiting, stomach pain and bloating, leading to a life threatening emergency.

To keep uninvited 4 legged guests from the dinner table, give them something special to chew on. Chew kongs are durably designed to be filled with treats to occupy your energetic pet.

From Longwood Veterinary Hospital, we wish you and your pets a Happy Thanksgiving.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmail