Valentine’s Day is a holiday filled with candy and flowers. While the holiday is very sweet for humans, it poses many health risks for pets. Poison control centers see a huge spike in the number of cases around the 14th. Many of these cases involve chocolate, lilies and other potentially fatal ingredients.

Lilies make the beautiful bouquets, but all species of the flower are toxic to cats. When sending floral arrangements to cat lovers, be sure to leave this flower out. If you receive an arrangement containing them either remove the lilies or place the arrangement in a cat free area. Stomach upset, vomiting, and diarrhea could all be signs your pet has ingested this toxic flower.

Chocolates
All pet parents know the dangers of chocolate. Baker’s, white, dark, milk, and semi-sweet varieties can be potentially life threatening to your pets. The methylxanthines in darker chocolates can result in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures, and an elevated heart rate. While lighter chocolates can lead to swelling in the pancreas.

Cocktails
Wine and spirits can be a great party starter for humans, but can be a life ender for pets. Keep your drinks out of the reach of pets. Even a few sips can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and central nervous system depression.

Roses
Roses are beautiful staples of the holiday, but can be a thorn in the side for many pets. The thorns found on roses and other stems can be harmful to your pets. The thorns could cause an infection if they are ingested or puncture a paw.

Gift Wrap
Ribbons, bows, wrapping paper and balloons can be entertaining to your pets, but they are also easy to ingest. Swallowing these items can mean vomiting, choking, or obstructions in the digestive track.

Furry Gifts
A sweet puppy or a cuddly kitty make seem like a great gift, but they are a lifetime commitment. Pets come with added expenses and responsibilities.

Candles
Candles can add ambience, but they can also be a danger. Nosey noses and pondering paws can easily burn themselves or surrounding objects. Never leave fire unattended.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmail